Middle School Science Teacher
St. Joseph Indian School Chamberlain, SD Full-time Education
Posted on May 12, 2023
Summary of Position
The Teacher is responsible for the instruction of students, organization of instructional lessons and implementation of the education curriculum, while being a contributing member of the community. This is an exempt position.
Reports to the Director of Education
- Supports and models the Catholic Mission and the Native American Culture that are the foundations of St. Joseph’s Indian School.
- Promotes a reclaiming environment for all students through the Circle of Courage.
- Implements the educational curriculum as prescribed through written action plans. Ensures that lesson plans correlate with established plans of study and contain specific instructional objectives and reflections.
- Works with Special Education staff to develop, implement, and monitor individual education plans.
- Accurately evaluates and records student achievement and progress for reporting to the administration and team members serving the child.
- Uses differentiated instruction to meet the needs of students.
- Promotes teamwork and open communication through regular participation in discussions with other staff who also directly supervise student, i.e. houseparents, other teachers, Family Services Counselors, and families of students.
- Acts in accordance to the Guidelines established by the school administration to provide effective supervision and quality education.
- Supervises students outside of school hours as required. Employee will be notified prior to any scheduling of additional supervision.
- Effectively uses planning time for job-related duties and activities.
- Immediately reports to the community administration, any type of abuse or neglect (suspected or alleged) as well as any serious accidents or illnesses affecting the student.
- Conveys clear behavioral expectations to students and monitors compliance. Accepts the responsibility for care, instruction, and discipline of individual students and groups of students using appropriate discipline techniques as necessary. Provides structure while enforcing all rules and regulations governing student conduct.
- Oversees the care of school property used in the classroom, reporting damages to Community Administration and completing the necessary maintenance requisitions.
- Assists with completion of state or local reports, surveys, inventories, plans of study and any form required.
- Works toward professional growth by attending workshops, visiting educational facilities and taking continuing education courses.
- Completes other responsibilities as required by the Director of Education.
- Four year degree in Education
- South Dakota teaching certification
- Middle School endorsement
- Uses both hands and wrists repetitively for prolonged periods.