Summary of Position:
The SPED Teacher is responsible for the instruction of students, organization of instructional lessons and implementation of the education curriculum, while being a contributing member of the community. The position is also responsible for paperwork specific to the SPED program. This is an exempt position.
Reports to the Director of Education
- Implements the educational curriculum as prescribed through written action plans. Ensures that lesson plans correlate with established plans of study and contain specific instructional objectives and reflections.
- Works with Special Education and general education staff to develop, implement, and monitor individual education plans.
- Accurately evaluates and records student achievement and progress for reporting to the administration and team members serving the child.
- Uses differentiated instruction to meet the needs of students.
- Promotes teamwork and open communication through regular participation in discussions with other staff who also directly supervise student, i.e. houseparents, other teachers, Family Services Counselors, and families of students.
- Four year degree in Education
- South Dakota teaching certification
- Uses both hands and wrists repetitively for prolonged periods.
Employment at St. Joseph's is more than a job — it is life's great work!
From houseparenting to teaching, there is always work to be done at St. Joseph's Indian School!
Joining our team requires commitment to excellence, a positive attitude and respect for the Lakota (Sioux) culture. We seek individuals with the following qualities:
- Extreme dedication
- Enormous capacity to share and care
- Team player for betterment of each child
- Participation and appreciation of Lakota culture and spiritual development
- Sense of mission in helping others less fortunate
- Ability to motivate young people to think, respond and learn
- Good stamina
- A preference for order